Ukrainian Arrested In JBS SA Cyberattack

A Ukrainian man suspected of collecting $2.3 million in ransom after using REvil ransomware to attack about 2,500 targets, including the June JBS SA cyberattack, has been arrested, according to Europol.

JBS Greeley Plant
JBS Greeley Plant
(Hart Van Denburg/CPR News)

U.S. authorities are seeking the extradition of a Ukrainian man arrested on suspicion of collecting $2.3 million in ransom after using REvil ransomware to attack about 2,500 targets, including the June JBS SA cyberattack.

Earlier Monday, Romanian authorities arrested two others suspected of cyberattacks in 17 countries using the Revil ransomware. The duo are suspected of causing 5,000 infections with the ransomware, collecting half a million euros in ransom payments, according to Europol, the European law enforcement agency.

The man being sought by U.S. prosecutors, 22-year-old Yaroslav Vasinskyi, was arrested last month at the request of the U.S. government as he tried to enter Poland from Ukraine, NBC reported.

Following the arrests in Romania, the US Department of Justice and the FBI announced that it seized a total of roughly $6 million in ransom payments after it arrested Vasinskyi last month in Poland.

U.S. Attorney General Merrick Garland at a press conference said Vasinskyi was behind an early July attack against Miami-based software company, Kaseya. That attack in turn affected at least 1,500 businesses in the U.S. and other countries by spreading through Kaseya software.

In that attack, the targets were told to pay a total of $70 million to have their computers unlocked.

Pork Daily Trusted by 14,000+ pork producers nationwide. Get the latest pork industry news and insights delivered straight to your inbox.
Read Next
After a devastating windstorm leveled his finishing barns in 2013, Kameron Donaldson leveraged community support and a data-driven partnership with Dykhuis Farms to secure a future for the next generation.
Get News Daily
Get Markets Alerts
Get News & Markets App