Health officials have added more than 100 illnesses to the cyclospora outbreak linked to McDonald’s salads, bringing the total number of cases to 163.
Illnesses have been reported by 10 states, according to the latest update by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Three people have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported. The median illness onset date is June 28.
The Food and Drug Administration continues to investigate which ingredient in the salads was the vehicle for the outbreak.
McDonald’s is cooperating and on July 13 stopped selling salads at more than 3,000 locations until it could switch suppliers.
The fast-food chain ceased sales in 14 states: Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, West Virginia and Wisconsin.
“Because of the proactive actions McDonald’s took to remove the affected salads from the locations in these states, there likely is not ongoing risk to consumers who eat at those McDonald’s locations,” the CDC said in its update.
The company reacted quickly after the Illinois and Iowa health departments issued news releases July 12 that said numerous illnesses had been reported by people who reported eating salads at McDonald’s before they became sick.
At this time, the FDA and CDC have no evidence to suggest this outbreak is related to the outbreak linked to Del Monte vegetable trays.
In the outbreak linked to Del Monte vegetable trays, 237 people have been sickened. Seven people have been hospitalized. No deaths have been reported.
The FDA continues to investigate which component of the vegetable trays is the vehicle for that outbreak — the trays contained broccoli, cauliflower, carrots and dip.