The Documents You’ll Need To Get A Tariff Payment

While you’ll not need a scale ticket to prove your production, it’s very important that you have a bin certificate if you plan to store grain. If you are planning to put new crop grains in a bin with old crop grains, you’ll need to get an old crop bin certificate before you put anything else in the bin. The Market Facilitation Program only covers crops produced in the 2018 growing season.  ( Farm Journal )

USDA announced earlier this week that farmers would be able to begin applying for tariff aid at their local FSA offices beginning Sept. 4 as long as their commodities had been harvested and documented. What will you need to complete the application process? 

To participate in the Market Facilitation Program you need to bring:

  • Verifiable and reliable production records by crop, type, practice, intended use, and acres if not already on file. 

It’s highly unlikely crops you’re harvesting now or will harvest in the coming months are already on file with your local office. You’ll need to prove production. 

According to the USDA Market Facilitation Program fact sheet, “examples of reliable production records include evidence provided by the participant that is used to substantiate the amount of production reported when verifiable records are not  available, including copies of receipts, ledgers of income, income statements of deposit slips, register tapes, invoices for custom harvesting, and records to verify production costs, contemporaneous measurements, truck scale tickets, or contemporaneous diaries that are determined acceptable by the FSA county committee.”

What does that mean? USDA says a scale ticket is not the only way you can certify production. Another reliable production record farmers often have is a combine monitor print outs. f you are planning to put new crop grains in a bin with old crop grains, you’ll need to get a measurement report before you put anything else in the bin. The Market Facilitation Program only covers crops produced in the 2018 growing season. 

Additionally, producers requesting an MFP payment must have a crop acreage report on file with FSA. If you participate in any other FSA programs you will already have a crop acreage report on file, just make sure it’s up to date. 


Dairy producers who are not enrolled in the Margin Protection Program need to have proof of production history established using the highest annual milk production marketed during the full calendar years of 2011, 2012, and 2013. If a dairy producer was not in business during those years they can establish production history using one of the following methods, according to DFA: Available full month’s marketed milk production for the calendar year the operation first began to market milk, calculated to a yearly amount using a national index based on seasons or estimated actual marketed milk production based on the actual herd size of the dairy operation relative to the national rolling herd average. To participate in the program, dairy operations must have been in operation on June 1, 2018.


To establish proof of ownership of the number of hogs owned on August 1, USDA will consider the following production records: breeding records, inventory records, sales receipts, rendering receipts, or veterinary records.

FSA Forms Required

When you go to your local FSA office, you will also be required to complete or update the following forms: 

CCC-941 – Reports average adjusted gross income. The MFP has an average AGI limit of $900,000 for the years 2014, 2015, and 2016.

AD-1026 – Ensures a conservation plan is in place before lands with highly erodible soils are farmed, identified wetland areas are protected, and conservation compliance provisions are met. Conservation compliance is also an eligibility requirement of the MFP. 

CCC-901 – Identifies members of a farm or ranch that is a legal entity. 

FSA-578 – Identifies crops, intended and actual uses of the crop, and if the crops are irrigated/non-irrigated. 

SF-1199A – Direct Deposit identifies the financial institution you wish to use to receive your MFP payment.

Farmers who are not already established with USDA will need to establish a farm tract number.

To complete that, you’ll need to bring the following with you to your local FSA office: 

  • Driver’s license or Social Security number/card
  • Copy of recorded deed, survey plat, rental, or lease agreement of the land 
  • Articles of incorporation, estate, or trust documents for entities