Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Tuesday that Canadian beef and pork exports to China will resume, ending a nearly four-month-long trade dispute with Beijing.
Canada will resume shipments of pork and beef to China, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Twitter on Tuesday, signaling the Asian nation has lifted an import ban imposed earlier this year.
"Good news for Canadian farmers today," Trudeau tweeted. "Thanks to Ambassador [Dominic] Barton and the Canadian meat industry for their work on re-opening this important market for our meat producers and their families."
China suspended all Canadian meat shipments on June 25 after discovering a forged certificate on pork cargo. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency later confirmed the shipment's export certificate was inauthentic.
Canadian and Chinese officials launched investigations into the origin, although Canada’s Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau hoped to restore exports before the investigation was complete.
“We are very appreciative of the efforts of government officials to help restore reliable access to China” said Rick Bergmann, Canadian Pork Council (CPC) Chair. “We’d like to thank Canadian Agriculture and Agri-food Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau and International Trade Diversification Minister Jim Carr for the leadership they have shown in working to resolve this issue. We look forward to working with Ambassador Barton to further strengthen Canadian-Chinese relations.”
In July, CPC said Canada presented an action plan to China that addresses some of the Asian nation’s concerns and was waiting for a response.
“Producers look forward to help meet the demands of Chinese consumers for wholesome, high-quality pork,” said René Roy, CPC’s second vice-chair.
China is a critically important market for Canadian producers. In 2018, Canada’s pork exports totaled almost $4 billion, of which $514 million was exported to China making it Canada’s third-largest export market, according to a CPC release.
More from Farm Journal's PORK: